In our tour of Catholic Europe, it has been very common to find many of the churches relatively close to each other. However, in our visit to Porto in Portugal, we find the so-called Twin Churches, separated by a few meters by the “Casa Escondida” (the hidden house).
Bordered by the “Avenida dos Aliados”, the old city meets the modern one at the “Praça da Liberdade” or Liberty Plaza. In what many consider as the center of the city of Oporto or Porto, surrounding the square are classic and modern buildings and, just a few steps away, the most emblematic historical places of the city. Continue reading “Praça da Liberdade – Porto, Portugal”
Walking towards the Douro River through the streets of Porto, suddenly we find the Plaza / Garden in honor of “Don Henrique de Avis y Lancaster”, son of Porto and better known as the Navigator. “Don Henrique” was the promoter of Portuguese policy for maritime explorations along the African coasts and the Atlantic Ocean; the era of Portuguese discoveries. In the center of this garden, a statue of the “Infante”, a work by Tomás Costa from 1894.
After strolling through the Jardim do Infante Dom Henrique, in Porto, Portugal, we headed towards the Igreja de São Francisco crossing the Rua de Ferreira Borges. As we climbed the stairs we could see the baroque facade of the Church with a rose window on the top and over the entrance a statue of Saint Francis. It was built between the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries.
Strolling along the “Avenida dos Aliados” and the “Praças da Liberdade” and “do Municipio” and just behind the City Hall of Porto, we find the Church of “Trindade” or Trinity Church. The temple is part of the complex of the “Ordem da Trinidade” that includes a Hospital.
Founded during the 12th century, the “Sé do Porto” (the Cathedral) in Portugal, is located on the highest point of the city, a perfect place to contemplate the Douro River, the Vila Nova de Gaia and the city of Porto. This cathedral is known by several names, all in honor of the Marian cult; Church of “Santa Maria do Porto”, “Nossa Senhora do Porto da Eterna Salvação” and “Nossa Senhora da Vandoma”.
The Tower of “São Pedro dos Cleros”, known as the “Torre dos Cleros”, is located above the old town of Porto. This tower comes to complete the “Igreja do São Pedro dos Cleros”, both symbols of the northern city on the banks of the Douro River.
The constant growth in the area of Porto and “Vila Nova de Gaia”, made it necessary to have a better connectivity between the two banks of the Douro River.
Crowning the “Praça da Liberdade” and at the end of the “Avenida dos Aliados” is the “Câmara Municipal do Porto” or the City Hall of Oporto or Porto, Portugal. In the style of the great municipal palaces of northern Europe, the Municipal Chamber was built in 1955 and is the work of the architect Antonio Correia da Silva with alterations proposed by the architect Carlos Ramos.
On April 1, 2011, the “Vila Nova de Gaia” Cable Car in Portugal, built expressly for tourist purposes opened to the public. Continue reading “Cable Car of “Vila Nova de Gaia”, Portugal”