The “Igreja de São Roque” in Lisbon, Portugal, was originally a hermitage to keep relics of São Roque, Patron Victim of Plagues. In 1505, the city of Lisbon was infested by a plague, knowing that San Roque was the patron saint of the victims of plagues, the relics or remains of the Saint were obtained.
At the top of the highest hill in the “Alfama” ward, you will find what from the 12th century is known as the “Castelo de São Jorge” or “Castillo de San Jorge”. The castle has eleven towers and its construction of the mid-eleventh century is attributed to the Muslims, with the purpose of defending the “Alcazaba” or citadel.
A few steps from the Cathedral of Lisbon, going up the “Largo da Se” in the Alfama ward, to the left is a Baroque temple from the 18th century. This is the Church of “San Antonio”, built in 1787 on what is alleged was the birthplace of the Saint Anthony. Although,the history of the building itself is much older.
The historical center of Lisbon has a very interesting and sometimes challenging topography. There are seven hills, with one of them in the center, with a gentle slope towards the Tagus River. If we imagine it in an aerial view, that central strip is the flattest, as if it were a river that makes its way among the other hills. It is the Baixa neighborhood and although the hills that surround it are very steep, it did not stop the urban expansion on the slopes.
The earthquake of 1755 caused a great deal of damage in Lisbon, Portugal, and the “Baixa” neighborhood was completely destroyed. Much of the damage was caused by a tsunami that surged with the earthquake. Thanks to the reconstruction plans promoted by the Marquis of Pombal, the “Baixa” would be transformed and revitalized. Continue reading “Praça do Comércio – Lisbon, Portugal”
Walking from the Commerce Square on route to the Cathedral of Lisbon, we find amazing structures and many monuments, witnesses of time that reveal the history of this wonderful city. Going up the “Rua de la Concepcion”, we encounter the Church of Mary Magdalene, National Monument of Portugal since 1910. Continue reading “Igreja da Madalena – Lisbon, Portugal”
The Rossio Railway Station was our point of departure point for our adventure to the charming city of Sintra in Portugal.
The Marine Museum (Museu da Marinha) was established by King Don Luís in 1863, and with the main objectives the dissemination of naval military affairs, and above all, disseminate the Portuguese maritime past, from the time of the Discoveries until the 19th century. Continue reading “The Marine Museum – Lisbon, Portugal”
The tower of Belém or tower of Bethlehem, as it appears in some writings, constitutes one of the most representative examples of the “Manueline” architecture. It is located at the mouth of the Tagus River, in the ward of “Santa Maria de Belém”, in the southwest section of Lisbon, Portugal. Together with the “Jerónimos” Monastery, the “Torre de Belém” was declared a World Heritage Site by Unesco in 1983. Continue reading “The Tower of Belém – Lisbon, Portugal”
Anchored on the banks of the Tagus River, in “Belém”, we find the Monument to the Discoveries, popularly known in Lisbon, Portugal, as “Padrão dos Descobrimentos”. The monument, built in 1960, served to commemorate the 500th anniversary of the death of Henry the Navigator, discoverer of “Madiera”, the Azores and Cape Verde. Continue reading ““Padrão dos Descobrimentos” – Lisbon, Portugal”