Bordered by the “Avenida dos Aliados”, the old city meets the modern one at the “Praça da Liberdade” or Liberty Plaza. In what many consider as the center of the city of Oporto or Porto, surrounding the square are classic and modern buildings and, just a few steps away, the most emblematic historical places of the city. Continue reading “Praça da Liberdade – Porto, Portugal”
The “Igreja de São Roque” in Lisbon, Portugal, was originally a hermitage to keep relics of São Roque, Patron Victim of Plagues. In 1505, the city of Lisbon was infested by a plague, knowing that San Roque was the patron saint of the victims of plagues, the relics or remains of the Saint were obtained.
After strolling through the Jardim do Infante Dom Henrique, in Porto, Portugal, we headed towards the Igreja de São Francisco crossing the Rua de Ferreira Borges. As we climbed the stairs we could see the baroque facade of the Church with a rose window on the top and over the entrance a statue of Saint Francis. It was built between the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries.
The “Igreja da Ordem Terceira de São Francisco”, commonly known as the “Igreja dos Terceiros” in Braga, Portugal, is a small church very close to the Arcade and the Braga Tower on “Largo São Francisco”.
Strolling along the “Avenida dos Aliados” and the “Praças da Liberdade” and “do Municipio” and just behind the City Hall of Porto, we find the Church of “Trindade” or Trinity Church. The temple is part of the complex of the “Ordem da Trinidade” that includes a Hospital.
Facing the “Praça da República” in the city of the Knights Templar, Thomar, Portugal, we find the “Igreja do São João Baptista” (Church of Saint John the Baptist). It is a late Gothic temple whose date of foundation is unknown. There is documentary evidence that under the reign of Manuel I in the fifteenth century it was subject to a reconstruction.
At the top of the highest hill in the “Alfama” ward, you will find what from the 12th century is known as the “Castelo de São Jorge” or “Castillo de San Jorge”. The castle has eleven towers and its construction of the mid-eleventh century is attributed to the Muslims, with the purpose of defending the “Alcazaba” or citadel.
The Cathedral of Santa Maria or “Igreja Primacial de Braga” is mostly known as the “Se de Braga”. It is recognized as the first Portuguese cathedral. However, in 1139 it is when this distinction is granted, when the new country of Portugal was created.
A few steps from the Cathedral of Lisbon, going up the “Largo da Se” in the Alfama ward, to the left is a Baroque temple from the 18th century. This is the Church of “San Antonio”, built in 1787 on what is alleged was the birthplace of the Saint Anthony. Although,the history of the building itself is much older.
In the São Martinho Ward rises the “Palácio da Vila” better known as the National Palace of Sintra, Portugal. It was originally an urban palace of the sixteenth century and today has become one of the most iconic buildings of Sintra.