On the “Piazza della Signoria de Firenze”, in front of the entrance to the “Palazzo Vecchio” is one of the many replicas that exist in the world of Michelangelo’s David. The interesting thing about this replica is that it is located in the place where the original David was exhibited for more than 350 years. Continue reading “David and the “Palazzo Vecchio””
On the Via de Fusari one finds the “Chiesa di Santa Maria Labarum Coeli” also known as “Santa Maria della Baroncella”. The original chapel is from the 13th century which was rebuilt in 1780 to the design of Angelo Venturoli and under the architect Giuseppe Antonio Verardi. Continue reading ““Santa Maria Labarunm Coeli” Church – Bologna”
Piazza Venezia, seems to have become the center of Rome, located very closely to the Piazza di San Marco. In fact, both appear as a result of the construction of the Palazzo Venezia, which is erected in the fifteenth century and next to the Chiesa di San Marcos. Each having its corresponding plaza. Continue reading “Piazza Venezia – Rome”
The building of Christian Church over pagan temples was customary in ancient Rome. Thus we have the Basilica Santa María over the Temple of Minerva. In fact, recently discovered were the remains of another temple, to Isis and Serapis in the place where this basilica is located. The architectural style of the “Basilica Santa Maria sopra Minerva” is Gothic. Continue reading “Santa Maria sopra Minerva, Roma”
The “Ponte dei Suspiri” or Bridge of Sighs in Venice, Italy, is over one of the most important canals in the city, the Di Palazzo River. It has become a tourist attraction,as it joins the Doge’s Palace and the old prison of the Inquisition. Continue reading “Ponte dei Suspiri, Venice”
In the heart of the historic center of Tivoli one finds the “Piazza Garibaldi” or the Garibaldi Square. It is dedicated to Giuseppe Garibaldi, the “Hero of the Two Worlds” due to his military interventions in South America and Europe. He is also considered one of the “fathers of the country” of Italy along with King Victor Emmanuel. The “Arch of the Founding Fathers”, a monumental sculpture created in 2009 by Arnaldo Pomodoro, attests to it in a prominent place on center of the stage. Continue reading “Piazza Garibaldi – Tivoli”
The Sintra Villa , is located among the Sintra Hills Sierra , it is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. It’s history dates to the II century B.C. and was considered part of the Roman city of Olisspo, today known as Lisbon. It is granted the title of Municipality in 1154, a few years after its reconquest for Christianity by Alfonso I of Portugal.
Leaving behind the historic center of Braga, Portugal, we find at the end of a small hill the “Igreja do Carmo”, part of what was once the Convent of the Discalced Carmelites. The Convent was founded in 1635 by Brother José do Espírito Santo. Currently only the Church whose construction began in 1654 remains.
Walking towards the Douro River through the streets of Porto, suddenly we find the Plaza / Garden in honor of “Don Henrique de Avis y Lancaster”, son of Porto and better known as the Navigator. “Don Henrique” was the promoter of Portuguese policy for maritime explorations along the African coasts and the Atlantic Ocean; the era of Portuguese discoveries. In the center of this garden, a statue of the “Infante”, a work by Tomás Costa from 1894.
The Archbishop of Braga, Don Fray Agostinho de Jesus wanted to have a decent place to be buried. As a result, he ordered the construction of the Church of “Pópulo” in 1596 together with its Convent, destined for the religious order, the “Eremitas do San Agustín”. The name of the Church is derived from the Church of “Sanctae Mariae de Populo” in Rome, of great importance for the Order of Saint Augustine.