In 1491, the Cabildo of Salamanca proposed the need for a temple of larger dimensions, since the Old Cathedral, Romanesque, was small and dark for the time, given the population development that was taking place at that time. The master builders of the cathedrals of Toledo and Seville were hired, with the mission to build a new cathedral for Salamanca, laying the first stone on May 12, 1513. We had commented in the previous article dedicated to the Old Cathedral, that when we observe the structure it gives the impression that it is only one cathedral and not two. This was achieved by supporting the New Cathedral on the north wall of the Old Cathedral. The wall was reinforced towards the interior of the old temple, leaving the lateral nave partially reduced with the new construction. The tower of the new cathedral was built over the bell tower of the Old Cathedral. Continue reading “The New Cathedral of Salamanca”
Six cities in Spain have two cathedrals and Salamanca is one of them. Some of these are built separately and others, as in the case of the cathedrals of Salamanca, may be united. The reality is that, for nearly four hundred years, the Old Cathedral and the New Cathedral have lived together as one. And, although they may appear to be a single structure, the truth is that each has its own separate history and so we will treat them as such. For obvious reasons, it is with the Old Cathedral of Salamanca that we begin the first part of this article. Continue reading “Old Cathedral of Salamanca”
When making your way to take the Metro Opera Station in Madrid’s Isabel II Square, or strolling through the gardens of the Plaza of the Orient, there is one building that stands out very elegantly, it is the Royal Theater. It is the first institution for the performing arts in Spain, the National opera house and considered one of the main opera coliseums internationally. Its program ranges from its renowned opera productions, ballet, dance, flamenco, concerts, to entertainment and shows for the whole family. Continue reading “Royal Theater of Madrid”
Its official name is “Iglesia Catedral Basílica Metropolitana de la Asunción de Nuestra Señora Santa María” and in Valencia, Spain, it is popularly known as “La Seu”. From the “Plaza de la Virgen” and next to another important Valencian temple, the Royal Basilica of Our Lady of the Holy Innocents Martyrs and Forsaken, you can see part of the Seu or Cathedral of Valencia. It is dedicated to the Assumption of Mary. Continue reading ““La Seu” of Valencia”
The first urban park of Seville is the Infanta Maria Luisa Fernanda Park, better known as Maria Luisa Park. It is a wonderful area, where tranquility and calmness are breathed in an extension of 34 hectares. It was declared in 1983 as an Asset of Cultural Interest in the category of Historical Garden. Continue reading “Maria Luisa Park, Seville”
Arriving at Valencia, it is worth noting how beautiful and monumental is the main railway station of this Spanish city, the “Estación del Norte” or “Estació del Nord” in Valencian. Its construction began in 1907, concluding in 1917 when it was inaugurated. It is located in the center of the city next to the “Plaza de Toros” and very close to the City Hall. It connects with several city subway lines and the urban bus network. Continue reading “Valencia Nord Station”
Arriving at the Plaza Mayor of Segovia, known since the late nineteenth century, as the Plaza de la Constitución, you can see the apse of what is considered in Spain, both for its size and its elegance, as the “Lady of the Cathedrals”. The Santa Iglesia Catedral de Nuestra Señora de la Asunción y de San Frutos, better known as the Cathedral of Segovia, was built between the XVI and XVIII centuries, in Gothic style with some Renaissance features. That is why it is considered in Spain and Europe, as one of the cathedrals where the Gothic style was used late, when the Renaissance architecture was already spreading in most of Europe. Continue reading “The Cathedral of Segovia”
On the first day of our visit to Valencia, we went to its historic center, arriving at the Plaza de la Virgen where the beautiful fountain allegorical to the Turia River immediately caught our attention. Likewise, we observed the Cathedral of Valencia, with its predominant style called “Valencian Gothic” and just to the right side of the cathedral, another temple is located. This one, more sober, although the structure stood out notably for its salmon tonality, which harmonized very well with the architectural details in stone of its façade. We approached to read its name, it was the Real Basílica de Nuestra Señora de los Santos Inocentes Mártires y Desamparados (Royal Basilica of Our Lady of the Holy Innocents, Martyrs and Forsaken). Definitely, a long name, but with a lot of meaning. At that time, the temple was closed, so we could only contemplate its exterior. Continue reading “Royal Basilica of Our Lady of the Holy Innocent Martyrs and the Forsaken”
Stopping at number 51 of the “quai des Grands Augustins” and pause to observe the Lapérouse Restaurant in Paris is unavoidable. Its antique details and the female paintings adorning its facades impart a great beauty and colorfulness, difficult to evade. The Lapérouse is located on the left bank of the Seine River (Paris 6), offering a wonderful panoramic view of the river. It reopened in 2018 after a renovation that maintained the original decorative elements.
Lapérouse defines itself as ‘The House of Pleasure’ and since 1766, what was a former private mansion was transformed into a wine store. It was the first restaurant in the world to obtain 3 stars in the Michelin guide in 1933. It specializes in traditional cuisine and seats only 58 patrons for dinner.
For more than two centuries, it has been the scene of French haute cuisine as well as of the literary, political and cultural social life of Tout-Paris. Zola, Maupassant, Baudelaire, Proust … the great Victor Hugo, the famous novelist Colette (from “La Chatte”), Serge Gainsbourg (who met Jane Birkin here), Woody Allen who chose the place for one of the scenes of “Midnight in Paris”, Orson Welles, Winston Churchill, Ernest Hemingway! If only these walls could speak! Today, these great writers, artists, filmmakers, political leaders and actors are joined by other great personalities of fashion and cinema, making every moment at Lapérouse a unique experience.
For those who wish to have a complete gastronomic experience, including history and great beauty, this is the ideal place. Of course, always remembering that fame has a price.
Arriving at #5 of the “San Antonio de la Florida” Roundabout on the banks of the Manzanares River in Madrid, you look straight ahead and find not one, but two identical hermitages. Now, it is the so-called San Antonio de la Florida hermitage on the right side of the square, the reason for arriving there. It is the only one, of three hermitages, dedicated to San Antonio de Padua that has survived of those that existed on the outskirts of Madrid. It is known as the hermitage of “San Antonio de la Florida” because it is located on the “Paseo de la Florida”, where formerly stood the Palace of Florida, acquired by Charles IV. Today, there are no remains of this palace as it was demolished in the 19th century to enable the construction of the new “Estación del Norte” (now the Príncipe Pío Railroad Station). Continue reading “Hermitage of “San Antonio de la Florida”, Madrid”