Crowning the “Praça da Liberdade” and at the end of the “Avenida dos Aliados” is the “Câmara Municipal do Porto” or the City Hall of Oporto or Porto, Portugal. In the style of the great municipal palaces of northern Europe, the Municipal Chamber was built in 1955 and is the work of the architect Antonio Correia da Silva with alterations proposed by the architect Carlos Ramos.
The six-story building has two interior patios and a tower 70 meters high with clock and chime rises in its center. The façade, made of granite and marble, has a series of sculptures by the artists José Sousa, Caldas and Henrique Moreira. These works are allegorical to the daily activities of Porto, as they are, the cultivation of the vine, industry and navigation.
The paintings on the roofs of the Romantic period include the shields of the City of Porto and Our Lady of Vandoma, patron saint of the city.
In front of the building is the statue in honor of the writer, poet, dramatist, liberal politician and mason, João Baptista de Almeida Garrett.