Strolling through “Piazza della Signoria” in the Italian city of Firenze and heading to the Arno River, we walk along the “Piazzale degli Uffizi”. This large square becomes the preamble to the “Gallerie degli Uffizi”, an office gallery converted into a museum.
The proximity of the “Gallerie degli Uffizi” to the “Palazzo Vecchio” is due to the fact that the offices of various ministers of the government of the Republic of Firenze were located there. In 1865 it officially became a Museum, containing large collections of the Renaissance era. Much of the private collection belonged to the Medici, being donated to the City of Firenze as part of their heritage.
The “Piazzale degli Uffizi” features statues on both sides of the great masters of Italy that decorate the two-wing facade of the Gallerie degli Uffizi. This walk is known as the “Loggiato” or portico and has niches where statues of politicians, artists, scholars and many more have been placed. This walk through history includes names such as Galileo Galilei, Donatello, Leonardo da Vinci, Michelangelo, Dante and many other illustrious people who magnified humanity with their knowledge. For us, this road became the walk among the greats