Upon observing the facade of the Church of Our Lady of the Rosary in Yauco, Puerto Rico, we knew that it had to have some Mozarabic influence. The high arches, the decorative details of the tower, such as the tower itself, the windows with their pointed arches, or the pointed arch, characteristic of Muslim architecture and later used by Gothic architecture. Elements that made us remember many places visited in Spain.
Our Lady of the Rosary is the third Catholic temple that was built in Yauco. The first church was built in 1754. It was a wooden hermitage with a roof covered with clay tiles. It measured approximately 87 feet long by 39 feet wide and was built in honor of the appearance by the Virgin of the Most Holy Rosary. In the year 1848, the hermitage was demolished due to its bad condition and because it was very small for the population. Between 1849 and 1952, the second religious structure was built, this time of masonry. It measured 99 feet long by 69 feet wide. In 1880 improvements were made, such as the construction of a turret for the clock. This church was demolished in 1931.
The church observed was built between 1931 and 1934. The plans were designed by architect Francisco Porrata Doria, a native of Ponce. It is approximately 50 feet wide and 120 feet long.
The central nave is divided from the sides by arcades of eight sides, lacking in decoration. The roof of these is slightly vaulted and has arches of the same form. Along the side walls there are windows with warhead arches. The beams they use in the central nave look like wood but they are made of steel, clad in wood.
The original floor of the “Criollo” tile is preserved in excellent condition.
Both day and night, the church imposes itself majestically.