The Church of San Tomé in Toledo, Spain, was built in the twelfth century over an eleventh century mosque. During the reconquest of Toledo by Alfonso VI, it was customary to build churches on the remains of mosques and synagogues, not only to mark the triumph of Christianity, but also to take advantage of the foundations and materials used in them.
In the fourteenth century, Gonzalo Ruiz de Toledo, the Count of Orgaz completely rebuilds the Church of “San Tomé”. One of the elements that was reused was the minaret of the mosque, turning it into a bell tower while preserving its Mudejar style. The temple consists of three naves covered with a barrel vault. When the Count of Orgaz died in 1323, he was buried in the chapel of the Conception of the Church of “Santo Tomé”.
The Church of “San Tomé” is recognized by the famous painting by El Greco, “The Burial of the Count of Orgaz”. The work was commissioned to El Greco in 1584 by the then pastor of the temple.
“The Burial of the Count of Orgaz”, can be seen at any time of the day, given that the Church of “San Tomé” opens daily to the public allowing viewing of art work and the church. It is important to note that one can only contemplate and admire the work, picturing it within one’s memory. Photographing is not allowed inside the temple. So, take your time and visit this beautiful church peacefully and enjoy the moment.