The Cathedral of Seville is one in a handful of structures that has an ample amount of Stained Glass Windows. It houses a total of 81 stained glass windows with the oldest dating back to the XIII century. As a result, the stained glass windows of themselves constitute a museum within the Cathedral given their dimensions, architectural organization and the large amount of windows. The stained glass windows of the Cathedral of Seville were created mostly by foreign artist, with contributions from the main European Stained Glass centers. In 1478, Enrique Alemán installed the first stained glass window in the central nave and in 1577, Vicente Menardo installed the last remaining one.
In the book “The Stained Glass Windows of the Cathedral of Seville”, Víctor Nieto Alcaide wrote that “It is impossible to conceive the meaning and grandeur of a Gothic Cathedral without the ambiance of light and color afforded by its stained glass windows. In this Gothic Cathedral, the colorful lights which invade its interior is a fundamental element which allows its unified appearance and its sublime architecture. Hence the importance to the Cathedral of Seville of a well conserved Stained glass windows.” (Free translation)
The themes greatly vary, one can find cycles formed by the figures of prophets, Evangelists, the lives of saints, others of the life of the Virgin Mary and of Christ.
The Town Council designates an amount of its annual budget to the constant restoration of these stained windows. Each year, one or two are dismounted and sent to the workshop for refurbishing. A thin glass lamination is installed to the windows exterior for its protection.