It is impossible to speak of the Italian city of “Firenze” without mentioning the Medici’s, the Tuscan family that achieved great political and economic power in the times of the Republic of “Firenze” in the early fifteenth century. The Medici, Dukes of Tuscany, enjoyed great privileges and properties such as palaces during their years in power.
Cosmo d’Medici ordered the construction of the “Palazzo Medici” in 1444, completing the work in 1484. This was the first of many palaces of the prestigious family. The architectural style of the “Palazzo Medici” was classical Roman, and included elements of some of the great artists of the Renaissance, such as Michelangelo. This palace served as a model for the construction of other palaces built during the Renaissance.
The “Palazzo Medici” was sold to the “Riccardi” family by the end of the 17th century and that is why it is known as the “Palazzo Medici Riccardi”. Today, this palace is the seat of the Government of the Province of Firenze, as well as a museum.