Thousands of visitors to Bologna arrive at the spot where the “Strada Maggiore” meets “Via Zamboni”, here one finds “Le due Torri: Garisenda e degli Asinelli”. Under the shadow of these towers, we also find the “Chiesa dei Santi Bartolomeo e Gaetano”.
Since the 5th century a “Chiesa de San Bartolomeo” has been known to be on this corner, indicating that it was possibly built on an older temple. The current church, in the Renaissance style, is from the 16th century. In the year 1599, the Benedectine temple passes to the Order of the Teatinos, who restructure the “Chiesa de San Bartolomeo”. The construction of the bell tower is completed in 1694.
The name of San Gaetano is added to the temple, when the founder of the Teatinos is precisely canonized in 1671. This is how the Chiessa Santi Bartolomeo e Gaetano was born.