The “Chiesa Santa Maria dei Monti” or “ai Monte” is located in the Monti district in Rome, one of the oldest and largest sections of the city. The Monti rises from the foot of four of the seven hills of Rome; Esquiline, Viminal, Quirinal and Coelian. Since the beginning of the 20th century, the Celio sector and the Coelian hill were separated to form a separate district.
The “Chiesa Santa Maria dei Monti” was built in the 16th century by the Order of the Jesuits, being the Second temple of the order. It was built on what in the thirteenth century was a monastery of the Poor Clares, Order founded by “San Francisco” and “Santa Chiara”.
It is alleged that in the year 1579 a series of miraculous events and cures began in the place, all revolving around a fresco representing the Virgin and Child. Later, Pope Gregory XIII ordered the construction of the temple on site. An image of this miraculous Virgin with the child occupies an important place in the High Altar of “Chiesa Santa Maria dei Monti”.
The architectural style of the church is baroque, being the work of the architect Giacomo della Porta, the same that built the Church of “Gesu”. The facade was restored at the end of the 20th century.