Saint Mary’s Church of the Alhambra, Granada. Construction of Saint Mary Church of the Alhambra in Granada began in 1576. It has a single nave with three lateral chapels on each side, a broad domed transept and the lateral tower that is shown. The exterior was built following the mudéjar tradition of brick, except the foundations that were made with stone. The structure itself is very simple, undecorated. Highlighted in the main facade, the royal and episcopal shields, and the bellfry is the tower’s highlight.