Commonly known as the Eduardo VII Park, it was named after King Edward VII of the United Kingdom who visited Lisbon in 1902 as a reaffirmation of the alliance between the two countries. It is the largest park in downtown Lisbon.
The great steep slope extends for 25 hectares. It was opened at the beginning of the 20th century as an extension of the “Avenida da Liberdade”. The central area of the park is composed of grass, sidewalks of cobblestones on the sides. Small bushes with characteristic Portuguese designs complete the central strip of the park. The Lisbon Book Fair is held annually at the central park. Here one can also find the “Fria” and “Quente” stoves, botanical gardens.