The needs that arose from a growing city and the plans to extend the “Avenida da Liberidade”, the City of Braga (Portugal) took control of the abandoned “Convent dos Remédios” to develop a urban project that included the construction of a new theater. Work on the construction of the Circus Theater began in 1911, in order to revive the arts in the city.
It was inaugurated on April 21, 1915 with the presentation of the operetta “Rainha das Rosas”.
The Circus Theater was also used in later years as a cinema.
At the beginning of the 21st century, it was remodeled, re-opening in October 2006.