The municipality of Ponce is located in the southern area of Puerto Rico. It is also known as the “Pearl of the South”, the “Lordly City”, “the lions” and the “City of quenepa”.
Its name comes from Juan Ponce de León and Loaiza, great-grandson of the conquistador Juan Ponce de León, one of the first neighbors of this region and who was interested in colonizing this area that we know today as Ponce.
The first European settlers settled in the region at the end of the 16th century and formally founded in 1692. In 1848 it was declared a Villa and in 1877 it was granted the title of city by order of the King of Spain, Alfonso XIII.
We share a little of the interesting structures and of diverse styles and materials that we found walking through the historic center of the Lordly City of Ponce, Puerto Rico.